Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting Started

This blog is a long time coming.
Knowing what I've wanted to do professionally and creatively has been a long time coming.

I've been fascinated with interiors, layout and details since I can remember. Inspired by my sister and my mom's interior design magazines, I would spend hours drafting imaginary floor plans. Perhaps I should've realized I'd be better suited studying interior design instead of graphic design when, on an tour of a design studio during university, what grabbed my attention was the space (a renovated church with soaring rafters) and the conference table (a salvaged boat topped with glass); I remember nothing of the portfolio or projects. However, already a fifth-year student, I had no desire to start all over again.

Who knows where I'd be now if I'd chosen to switch majors. What I do know is that my graphic design career led me from a Kansas City design boutique, where I had a great mentor, to several places in New York City. At my last position, I was eventually, and occasionally, assigned to conceptualize interior spaces specing eco-conscious products. Throughout those years, I read magazines such as Natural Home and Garden and dreamed of a way to work in interiors, where I'd have more say in the final design decisions.

In the interim, while contemplating returning to school, I attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City and became a certified health coach. The course covered many areas I was interested in—including personal and planet health, body image, local and organic foods, and animal rights—and I began conceptualizing how I could tie in this new knowledge with my love of interiors.

Also, immediately upon graduating from IIN, I began working for a holistically-minded interior studio. I'd summoned the guts to call a couple years earlier, and I was finally hired! I worked on two projects and loved the clients and seeing the results, but my boss and I realized we were both looking for, and expecting, different things from each other. It's unfortunate that after two years of discussion we had such rapid communication breakdown; giving up on the dream hurt tremendously.

I decided to dive into building my health coaching practice, and also began studying feng shui while taking on a few other endeavors, including studying forex (I know, this throws everyone—it's the yang to all the other yin in my life, as one friend put it). I quickly pulled myself in too many directions (which I've heard is extremely common for new entrepreneurs), and my life spiraled out in a direction I never would've envisioned, nor wanted. Last year I pulled back and assessed what I really wanted to accomplish. I let go of health coaching to focus on feng shui, forex, and personal healing. I eventually helped friends and family organize homes and an office, and gained confidence and perspective that I could tie all my interests together while working with clients in a manner personally suited to my strengths. Here I am, starting fresh once again, with the intention of helping others create healthy homes that feel, well, like home.

Welcome to my blog, and thank you for reading. I look forward to getting to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment